Heeeeey, what do we have here? A BLOG post? Are people still writing those? I mean, I know I’M not. But I did document all of the pictures/updates I would have posted during my social media break, so I thought I would share them here. Here you go…
DAY 1: March 1st
I almost checked FB 22 times today. I kept a tally. Here are just a few things I wanted to post/read about today:
- Vet recommendations
- Two different Goldendoodle breeders’ FB pages
- Reactions to Trump’s speech last night
- The fact that HD really wants to name the puppy “Blue Cheese.” Thoughts?
Also, I just saw this CNN post…3.77 billion? Really? Looks more like 3.76 billion years old to me, but tomato/tomahto, I guess.
DAY 2: March 2nd
- Caption this photo. #tbt
- Just heard on the radio that Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom have broken up… who even knew they were dating? kmac 2000 is really disappointed in kmac 2017 right now. Kmac 2000 would also have really enjoyed this tidbit of gossip news but kmac 2017 doesn’t care at all.
DAY 3: March 3rd
- Anyone have a basketball hoop they want to send me? Aspiring Kobe over here has outgrown our broken Playskool hoop. (Editor’s note: we got one this weekend and we haven’t seen the Nib inside the house since then.)
- Lori Mac KILLIN’ it driving through icy, whiteout conditions. #VTlife #Imactingconfidentsothekidsdontfreakout #lorimacsactingconfidentsoidontfreakout #idontevenski
DAY 5: March 5th
Hardcore family skiing in 0 degree weather. I’m feeling slightly nervous that someone’s nose might fall off… but not nervous enough to do anything about it because I’m sitting here in the lodge by the fire, with my book, ALONE. So yeah, I’m good.
Day 8: March 8th
- I would really like to be on social media today to see how “The Day Without Women” is going. Did all the women stay home? I really want to do my part, so I’m refusing to do laundry today.
- I just found 19 copies of a March Madness bracket on my printer. 🤔
Day 9: March 9th
5-8″ of snow tonight?!? NOOOO!!! Hang in there little, purple guys! 😩
Day 10: March 10th
The “snowstorm” is a non-event, yet here I sit, during regular school hours, surrounded by three children. I bet everyone is FREAKING OUT online.
We’re kickin it old school on this snow day with some Rock’em Sock’em Robot action. We also watercolored, had a Moana soundtrack lip sync contest, and HD made a bracket for “Most Competitive Sounding Name” (FYI, “ROEN” is the winner). We did NOT play in the snow. You know why? THERE IS NO SNOW.
AND guess what else… WE ATE BREAKFAST FOR ALL THREE MEALS. NOT KIDDING.
- Breakfast: Cereal and waffles
- Lunch: Oatmeal
- Dinner: Scrambled eggs and toast
BREAKFAST: IT’S NOT JUST FOR DINNER ANYMORE.
Day 12: March 12th
I’ve decided that reactions to weather conditions is a big part of my social media experience. For instance, there is now a BLIZZARD coming and I have no idea if everyone’s bought their wine! Also, it seems cruel that today is National Napping Day and I can’t post about it. You’ll just have to trust me: I napped. and I napped HARD.
Day 13: March 13th
If a blizzard happens and I’m not on social media to witness the posts/school predictions/snowman pictures, did it ever really happen at all??
Day 14: March 14th
So sad about the news of Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s passing. Like so many, I learned about her battle with cancer when reading her incredible moving essay, You May Want to Marry My Husband. I cried reading it and I cried even harder when I saw who the author was. And then I sobbed uncontrollably today when I heard she died. Reading Little Pea tonight and sending her family peace and light.
Day 15: March 15th
Hawaii just blocked Muslim Ban 2.0! I’ve never been so proud to be a Hawaiian (honeymooner) before!
Day 16: March 16th
We met some SUPER CUTE baby Labradoodles this morning!
And then this happened:
No, he wasn’t boxing.
Day 18: March 18th
So, we’re getting a puppy. A very, very hypoallergenic puppy. It’s really happening. His name is Oscar and he’ll be coming home mid-April and we met him on FaceTime today!
This is a screenshot of the video the Nib took of our FaceTime session… look at HD’s face:
Day 21: March 21st
Oscar’s currently living with a trainer for a few weeks since a) I have no idea how to train a puppy and b) we got him much sooner than expected and we’re traveling next week. BUT we did get to visit him today. Slightly concerned about HD’s hives but the trainer’s house if full of dog hair so hoping that’s why. We’re going to take Oscar for a sleepover next week. Fingers crossed. I’m shocked that LO didn’t suggest taking Oscar and sending HD back. Look at this face:
Day 22: March 22nd:
Took the kids to see “The Play that Goes Wrong” today. I would say LO understood about 88% of it, the Nib 75% and HD, maybe 40%. But you don’t have to understand all of the references to laugh at people getting hurt on stage, so they loved it. #compassionisnotourgame
Then we went to Planet Hollywood and I should get a medal because that place is CRAZY. Also, my kids are crazy. And then I gave them giant milkshakes so THAT didn’t help.
Day 23: March 23rd
Today is National Puppy Day… yay! we have one! Boo, he doesn’t live with us yet.
Day 27: March 27th
Oscar spent the night with us last night. 😍
Day 30: March 30th
This was a gift, if you can call it that. Thanks a LOT, Neil. My vision will never be the same.
Day 32: April 1st
Ten-year old me’s dream coming true. If only there were a Ground Round in Times Square, I could relive every birthday party I had between the ages of 7-11.
Day 34: April 3rd
HD made a list of everything Oscar will need:
After I read it, I asked him why Oscar will need a calendar. He said, “Well if he gets lots of friends, he’ll have lots of play dates and you’ll have to write them down so you don’t forget about them.” He’s got a point.
Day 36: April 5th
I clicked on a link that opened up Facebook today. It was an honest mistake. The link had been tiny url’ed so I didn’t know but as soon as I saw the FB logo, I closed it immediately. Please forgive me, God. (I don’t care what the rest of you people think.)
Day 37: April 6th
On a serious note, I just spent a few minutes looking at the pictures of the scene of the chemical attack in Syria. So upsetting and hard, but it feels important to look at these faces – these CHILDREN’S faces – and hold them and all of the innocent people affected by this attack in our thoughts and prayers today.
This week has been rough. From small things like my kids acting like assholes to very big things (see above) to the fact that this time of year can be hard because my Mom’s birthday is tomorrow and the anniversary of her death is the 11th and BAM, and then add it that it NEVER STOPS RAINING and well, it’s been a shitshow. Then this happened:
My neighbor put it perfectly when she said, “This just feels a little bit like a gift.”
Dayum Mother Nature, you so good.
Day 38: April 7th
Happy Birthday Mom… miss you everyday.
Day 41: April 10th
Yay, Florida! One of my favorite weeks of the year! #halfadozencousins
Day 42: April 11th
At Beauty & the Beast with 13 people…
- Tickets: $85
- Four popcorns: $21
- Four Crunch-a-Munch: $16
- Two M&Ms: $8
- One Sour Patch Kids: $4
- Ten lemonades: $35
- Three bottles of water: $12
- Two Diet Cokes: $7
- Memories of going to the movies with ten cousins that will last a lifetime: $188 freaking dollars! That’s CRAZY expensive!
Day 43: April 12th
Last day of Facebook and Instagram hiatus! Hooray!
Here’s what I’ve learned from my social media break:
- I missed it but can certainly live without it.
- I’m not dependent on it for my news.
- I’m surprisingly not that much more productive without it. (I’m just not that productive, period.)
- I didn’t have noticeably more face-to-face conversations, probably because I’m not a teenager and have not completely replaced face-to-face communications with social media.
- I’LL NEVER LEAVE AGAIN!!! Just kidding. It wasn’t that big a deal. (Except if God’s listening, then it was HUGE sacrifice!)